Desert Senita Community Health Center has evolved from a hospital and outpatient facility which was ran by a large mining company until it ceased local operations in 1986. Following the mine closure, the hospital closed and the outpatient treatment facility relocated to the mine’s former single men’s dormitory, in a more central area of the Ajo community. The health center was then run by hospital management organizations hired by the mining company for a few years, prior to becoming an independently-run facility in October 14, 1997.
Today, Desert Senita is a Federally Qualified Community Health Center delivering comprehensive, culturally competent, high-quality primary health care services. We live by our mission by providing quality, local, affordable health care for all. We provide services regardless of patients’ ability to pay and charge for services on a sliding fee scale.
In 2017, we expanded our mission to the Arizona City community.
In 2018, we completed a multi-phase remodel project which included a new lobby, pharmacy, expansion of exam rooms and overall remodel of the health center in Ajo.
In 2020, we started new construction project that includes a brand new health center to expand access of our fully integrated primary health care services in Arizona City.
Our Board of Directors
Desert Senita Community Health Center is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors, comprised of community partners and representatives who contribute to the mission to improve the health of our communities and in providing health care to the underserved and making it affordable to everyone.
Our Board of Directors addresses and is responsible, either directly or by appropriate professional delegation, for the operation and performance of the organization through participation on various board committees, through attendance at various healthcare events and by actively engaging in our monthly board and committee meetings.
The Desert Senita Board is responsible for:
- Defining and evaluating the health center’s mission
- Establishing and monitoring the health center’s policies and procedures
- Safeguarding the health center’s assets
- Selecting, evaluating and supporting the health center’s Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”)
- Monitoring and evaluating its own performance, as well as that of the health center as a whole; and Plan for the health center’s long-range future
Join Our Team
Join our team of dedicated health care professionals in a collaborative, patient-focused environment – where you can apply your skills to improve the health of our patients and community
We believe everyone should have access to quality healthcare. We are looking for professionals who share our vision as we learn and grow together!
- Mission: Quality, Local, Affordable Healthcare for All
- Vision: Your Center for Healing and Wellness
At Desert Senita, we have a culture of learning and growing together. We believe in everyone and demonstrate this by:
- Celebrating everyone’s successes
- Valuing strengths of our diverse, collaborative team, and individual contributions to the whole
- Being solution-oriented
- Encouraging and supporting self-awareness, self-care, and empathy as the foundation of our healthy culture
- Celebrating and supporting creativity, growth, risk-taking, and learning from our mistakes
- Engaging from a spirit of generosity, assuming positive intentions, forgiving, and righting wrongs
- Extending trust and actively building trusting relationships
- Modeling transparency, clarity, and accountability
Desert Senita Community Health Center is focused on creating sustainable growth through a commitment to quality and the development of people and business. Our employee benefit program is designed to provide you and your family members with: Quality, comprehensive choices of insurance coverage including:
Medical, dental, vision, basic life and AD&D, supplemental life and AD&D, short term disability and long term disability.
We offer a retirement plan and Paid Time Off, along with paid holidays.
As a non-profit organization committed to providing quality, local, affordable health care to all, we hope that you will join us in our efforts by donating to our community health center. We are a Qualifying Charitable Organization (QCO), which means your contribution is tax deductible!
We have a few options available to make your donation easy:
- By Mail – Send a check to: Desert Senita Finance Office at 410 N. Malacate, Ajo, AZ 85321
- Arizona Gives
Your support will help with our programs and health center needs, as continue to look forward to carry on and expand our health care services to meet the needs of our communities!